Saturday 23 February 2008

Rustico

by Mark

I used to frequently bemoan the lack of decent restaurants in Aberdeen. This was back in the day when I used to work at the horrible, disgusting Littlejohns on Schoolhill, which was somehow always chock a block with folk, more than willing to throw that microwaved crap into themselves and pretend they were having a good time. It would frustrate me that probably quite intelligent people were spending £10 on a burger that had been brought in, cooked in the morning, and held hot all day. It would rile me that I was working with a bunch of "chefs" who wouldn't know a good ingredient if it danced in front of them wearing nothing but a tiny thong and an "i'm a good ingrediant" t-shirt. The only thing that got me through the day was knowing one of them had a son, called Levi. He named his son after jeans. Hilarious.

Anyway.....whats this got to do with Rustico?

Nothing at all. The two places are polar opposites, worlds apart, and yet today Rustico was only half full at lunchtime. Weird or what. We went for the lunch menu, having bruschetta to start and then ravioli after that. I can not even begin to tell you how delicious it was. Not without swearing, anyway. It was the tastiest meal I've had in a long, long time. It was fresh, uncomplicated, fast, and cheap, coming in at under £20 for two drinks, starters and mains. It was everything a restaurant should be, apart from busy, which just goes to show that Lamar was right.....there's just no justice in this world.

No comments: